Fruity DIYs

Whoo hoo! And the sun has returned! What better opportunity to jump straight into a summer post? I was looking at Pinterest and was saving images of 'Fruity DIYs' to my computer which made me think- why don't I have a go at creating some of my own? So, here's how to make a few Fruity DIYs...


1. Watermelon Lantern

To create this seriously cute lantern, the first thing you will need to do is find a small glass jar or pot and remove any packaging/stickers. I did this by mixing equal amounts of olive oil and baking soda and brushing it onto the sticker. If you then leave it for 30mins or more, the sticker is much easier to peel off and all you have to do is scrub the residue off with the rough side of a kitchen sponge.


Place a piece of sticky tape/masking tape so that there is a small section at the top for you to use a green permanent marker in. Once you've done this, remove the tape and move it down so that the edge of the tape is right up to the bottom rim of the jar. Colour the big, middle section with a red permanent marker and then the base of the jar green, too. Remove the tape.

Next, once the pen has all dried, you can go back and add black circles to the red section of the jar for watermelon seeds in permanent marker. I then folded a long piece of rustic string in half and used a glue gun to attach it to either side of the rim of the jar. Be careful to make sure they're equal on both sides or else the jar will not hang level. Finally, you can sprinkle a layer of sand inside and pop a tea-light in the middle.

WARNING: In the image, it shows a real tealight but if you wish to light it, use a fake, battery operated one because the string may catch on fire!🔥
Also, the permanent marker I used on the glass will rub off in water so if you do decide to take it outside, remember to bring it in after your done with it. In other words, don't leave it out in the rain.








2. Fruity Ice cubes

In the long run, for me, these did work but originally I had my doubts. I have changed some of the things that didn't go so well so if an image is slightly different to what I've explained, follow the explanation for best result!

My original idea was to set these up in the middle of a dinner table, outside during summer on a plate to create a bit of an atmosphere. I melted these when the temperature was about 20°C, and they are still melting an hour after I took them out of the freezer. They work brilliantly as photography props.




To recreate them, first, you'll need to find some fruit and flowers. I chose thin slices of apple, cumin seeds, small pieces of lavender and bluebells (which worked really well). Maybe don't use oranges because they leave the water looking dirty. If you do wish to use them, make them their own one by themselves with maybe a few cumin seeds, too.

You can make a decision now. The choice is to put them in small, clear vases/jars which you may wish to keep them in when you take them out. On the other hand, I put them in small plastic pots with lids on which gives you more variation on the shape of your finished item.





Fill the pot with water and add the items of choice- don't use cling film under the water to get them out because it just snaps and sticks to the ice. Put the lids on (or don't, as the case may be) and place them in your freezer. In my bluebell one, I propped it up so that the water sat angled and the orange one I tilted on its side so they became different shapes.

Freeze until completely solid. When you wish to use them, take them out of the freezer and, if you chose to keep them in the vases, put them out for display but, if not, leave on the side until they have defrosted enough for you to remove the lid. You will need to be really patient as you wait for them to melt enough to be able to be taken out of the pots. This can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes. Then, you can place them on a tray/plate for you to take photos of or enjoy watching melt as you eat your meal.




3. Pineapple pot

To be able to recreate this plant pot, you'll need to find a plant pot made of pottery and grab some paint that will be able to stay on there (read instructions on paint). You can choose whatever shaped pot that you can find lying around your home!

First things first, you're going to need to use some masking tape to create diamond shapes in-between. They don't have to be perfect to work.


Paint the sides yellow, I left the top white but if you have a terracotta coloured pot, you may want to paint it either dark green or yellow. A few coats may be needed. When you are done and the paint is dry, outline the shapes carefully in black permanent marker and then remove the tape. I opted for a slightly thicker pen than the sharpies which I used for the Watermelon Jar. Last but not least, add a green plant in the top to give it more of a 'Pineapple' vibe! My plant wasn't the best fit for the wanted 'vibe'. If I were you, I'd go for one of those, big, spiky cactus plants.


I really enjoyed creating these items and I hope you liked reading about them, too. Click that 'Follow' button and comment down below your favourite Fruity DIY- you know the drill!
Stay tuned for more,
Elly💖


My previous post: April Must-Haves 2018-
https://ellycuriouswords.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/april-must-haves-2018.html




MY LINKS:
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/EllyCuriousWord       @EllyCuriousWord

My Bloglovin' Account:
http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/curious-words-19331403
My Pinterest Account:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ellycuriouswords/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Must Haves 2019

September Must Haves

Update! - What's In My Makeup Bag May 2018